In order to pursue its mission, BITA‟s culture-based approaches include
- Facilitation of grass root initiatives
- Technical assistance to culture-based institutional initiatives
- Partnership with complementary and similar organizations
- Establishment of BITA Culture and Development Centre as promoter of innovation
- Organizational development of BITA as an institution.
In other words, in addition to its own primary stakeholders (poor and disadvantaged groups), BITA will work together with formal and informal institutions, which work for the same group of people and are demanding rights for them as their vision. BITA will seek synergies while working together with others. BITA‟s work with the grass root people and with the formal and informal institutions will be more effective if its approaches, tools and instruments are continuously updated and improved envisaging increased effectiveness and relevance. For that, BITA will further develop BCDC and improve its capacity as an institution. BITA will follow the above mentioned approaches and the strategies listed below will help achieve the performance objectives defined in the following:
Grass Root Based Performance Objectives
- Performance Objective 1
- Performance Objective 2] <p>Members of grass root based cultural groups are performers.<br /> Strategies</p> <ul> <li>BITA will provide training to selected group members to become performers thereby extending skills on presentation, use of materials, suitability of materials, materials development, etc.</li> <li>BITA will assist during the rehearsal process.</li> <li>BITA will undertake quality control and provide follow-up support if required.</li> </ul> <p>Indicator: Grass root group members have received the training about program-related affairs/matters according to specified guideline/manual and 25% of them have trained others to practice.</p> [/fruitful_tab] [fruitful_tab title=
- Performance Objective 4
- Performance Objective 5
- Performance Objective 6
- Performance Objective 7
- Performance Objective 8
- Performance Objective 9
- Title 3
- Grass root based cultural group formation facilitated and the groups exist continuously and independently. Strategies for group development
- BITA will establish and maintain rapports with communities deprived of opportunities and rights.
- BITA will motivate them for development initiatives and will involve in culture-based activity as an instrument to make themselves aware of development issues, motivate and organize them to demand their rights.
- BITA will facilitate formation of community based cultural groups and provide orientation how to manage them.
- BITA will provide need based training o development issues and group management. Indicator: Grass root cultural organizations are following the specific guidelines developed by them and undertaking programmes on their own in an organized way.
Members of grass root based cultural groups are performers. Strategies
- BITA will provide training to selected group members to become performers thereby extending skills on presentation, use of materials, suitability of materials, materials development, etc.
- BITA will assist during the rehearsal process.
- BITA will undertake quality control and provide follow-up support if required.
Indicator: Grass root group members have received the training about program-related affairs/matters according to specified guideline/manual and 25% of them have trained others to practice.
Groups are identifying their issues and visualizing them to wider audience using local cultural elements and resources for their performance Strategies to help identify and visualize
- BITA will facilitate the identification of issues the groups want to visualize.
- BITA will provide technical assistance on how to visualize/articulate their issues in different ways like drama, kobigan, poster, festoon, flip sheet, rally, public meeting, during the observation of days.
- BITA will assist the groups to develop messages to be communicated to the audience.
Indicator: a) The grass roots organizations have enlisted the local cultural elements like rural game, Kabigan, Palagan, Jatra, Punthi,, community based rites & rituals, local resources, and have efficiently in their activities. b) Grass root groups have performed (rally, theatre, picture exhibition, folk song) on the eve of National Day‟s celebration and celebrating the International Mother Language Day‟s, Victory Day‟s, Independence Day‟s and Bengali New Years in the presence of cultural personalities and local administration.
BITA is in partnership (network, alliance, coalition) with other organizations pursuing rights for the poor and disadvantaged. Indicator: 1.a. Coalition: BITA is an active member of 3 coalitions and works as a lead agency to implant culture based development communication tools in programmes on specific issues, such as violations (Women, Children, Adolescents), Gender, TFD, Local Govt. Issues in Chittagong. 1.b. Networking: BITA is in network with 20 organizations for sharing programme information on violations (Women, Children, Adolescents), Gender, TFD, Local Govt. Issues through workshop, seminar, round table, visit and training at regional, local and national level within 3 years. 114 1.c. Partnership: BITA has partnership agreement with 30 organizations working for the same issues and similar vision based on reciprocal accountability & transparency.
- Share BITA‟s programme and be interested in other‟s programme through dialogue in workshop/seminar
- Seek and provide assistance to implement project activities
- Share information and resources
- Establish linkages with organizations working on similar issues and vision
- Agree on ground rules for coalition building
- Agree on action plans of the coalition and document them for records
- Ensure proper use of resources of the coalition members based on competitive advantages
- Introduce the issue for the people to create pressures
- Identify and establish formal contact with organization working for the same issue and similar vision.
- Agree on the areas of working together
- Develop code of conduct and sign agreement based on resource use, responsibility, reciprocal accountability and transparency
- Establish the “we approach” in all operations related to the issue in place of BITA
- Document all processes
Different cultural groups emerged or and strengthened to spread the creative force of culture as media for communication. Indicator: A total of 20 emerging institutions or cultural groups are active on specific agenda (Human Rights). Strategies
- Develop human resources at grassroot level (children, adolescents, men and women)
- Properly use local culture-based materials
- Form subject-specific integrated assisting groups
- Offer technical assistance as per demand
- Exchange experience with grassroot organizations of other organizations
- Establish network/partnership with grassroot based organizations
- Establish linkage with the opinion leaders of the society
- Identify organizations working for human rights
- Identify the specific areas of work and assess their needs
- Offer technical assistance and formalize the deal based on the demanded service
- Provide training by BITA and where needed link with other organizations
- Follow up the use of skills acquired from technical assistance
- Develop materials for professional forums to orient them on human rights issues as well as materials for their use in their work.
- Organize workshops/orientation seminars with members from the professional forums (journalists, lawyers, teachers, etc.).
- Provide technical assistance support if required by professional groups to organize events related to human rights.
- BCDC will equip its facilities (academic, infrastructure, systems and policies) to establish BCDC as a unique training institution in Bangladesh and work towards a pre-defined benchmark equivalent to international level.
- BCDC will seek affiliation with institutions at home and abroad to jointly offer post-graduate diploma on Community/Popular Theater Art.
- BCDC will enter into exchange programme with similar institutions and provide internship opportunities to foreign students.
Indicator: A fund raising mechanism is established considering BCDC as profit centre and at least 50% of the physical set-up is in use for external clients.
BCDC is a centre for action research for new communication-based development approaches in the contemporary development issues. Strategies
- BCDC will assess the effectiveness of existing culture-based tools and instruments for awareness-raising and mobilization of opinions for contemporary development issues in partnership with fellow practitioners.
- BCDC will develop, field-test and disseminate innovative culture based tools and instruments for in partnership with other development organizations.
- BCDC will publish regular newsletters to disseminate the innovations both developed at BITA and in other organizations.
Indicator: BCDC is recognized internationally as a specialized institution to facilitate international standard theatre training.